Dodge Hamtramck Plant Assembling Building #2 Description and Photos
This six-story reinforced concrete building runs parallel to the first Assembly Building completed in 1914, It is 100 feet wide and 1,080 feet long, but was built in three segments, all designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. It consists of the westernmost segment of 460 feet (1923), the middle segment 150 feet long (1924), and the eastern end, measuring 470 feet long and built in 1925. It has a flat roof, steel sash, and utilizes a flat-slab framing system with ten-sided concrete columns with flared capitals. The first floor was used for receiving and warehousing, while the upper five floors housed the trim departments.
ASSEMBLY BUILDING #2, FIRST FLOOR OFFICE PLAN 1923
ASSEMBLING BUILDING #2, FLOOR PLAN, 1923
ASSEMBLING BUILDING #2, EXTENSION #2, SERVICE LAYOUT, 1925
ASSEMBLING BUILDING #2, EXTENSION #2 ELEVATIONS, 1925
ASSEMBLING BUILDING #2, ELEVATIONS, 1923