Dodge Hamtramck Plant Body Building Description and Photos
The Body Building, designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, was built in 1919-1920 to handle the preparation and painting of automobile bodies. This eight-story reinforced concrete building, with flat roofs, steel sash, and a flat-slab internal framing system, stands 118 feet tall. It is nearly square, with exterior dimensions of 396 feet and 400 feet, but there are two interior light courts. The western one, created where this building meets the adjoining Pressed Steel Building, is 98 feet wide and 247 feet long, while the eastern light court is 145 feet wide and 247 feet long. The light courts were left open only briefly and now are covered by two-story steel-framed roofs with glass sawtooth monitors. The eastern court now holds large steel sludge tanks used to recycle the used paint, while the western court holds a bake oven of recent vintage. The working spaces on the third floor and above are 77 feet wide. At the time the plant closed in 1980, the top three floors were used for body finishing, including soldering; the third, fourth, and fifth floors contained paint spray booths and bake ovens for small parts and the complete bodies; the second floor was used for repairs and subassembly work; and the first floor was used for storage and the sludge tanks. The exterior of the Body Building is dominated by hundreds of ventilator pipes.
BODY BUILDING, FIRST FLOOR, VIEW NORTH, 1980
BODY BUILDING, FIRST FLOOR, VIEW NORTHEAST, 1980
BODY BUILDING, FIRST FLOOR, VIEW NORTHWEST, SLUDGE TANKS, 1980
BODY BUILDING, FIRST FLOOR, VIEW EAST, 1980
BODY BUILDING, FIRST FLOOR, VIEW VIEW SOUTH WEST, 1980