Dodge Hamtramck Plant Office Building Description and Photos
The office building was constructed in two segments, but they were architecturally consistent, making the two parts virtually indistinguishable. Albert Kahn designed the first segment, a two-story brick building measuring 120 feet long and 54 feet wide, erected in 1910. Smith, Hinchman & Grylls in 1914 added two stories to the existing building, plus two four-story extensions on the south and north ends, making it 220 feet long. The building originally had awnings to screen the south and west facades from the sun, but those were later replaced by louvered steel sunscreens.
OFFICE BUILDING, WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS, 1914
OFFICE BUILDING, NORTH AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS, 1914
OFFICE BUILDING, EAST ELEVATION, 1914
OFFICE BUILDING, FOURTH FLOOR, PLAN, 1914
OFFICE BUILDING, MAIN ENTRANCE DOOR, 1915
OFFICE BUILDING WEST ELEVATION, 1980