Dodge Hamtramck Plant Warehouse Building Description and Photos
The reinforced concrete Warehouse Building consists of two segments, both designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. The first segment is eight stories tall, measures 108 feet by 310 feet, and was completed In 1917. It is equipped with a 60,000 gallon water tank to serve the sprinkler system. The second, built in 1925, is five stories tall and measures 108 feet by 206 feet. Dodge had intended to eventually add three floors to this second segment to bring it to the same height as the original segment. Overall, it is very similar to the other multi-story reinforced concrete buildings in the complex, with an interior flat-slab framing system featuring ten-sided concrete columns with flared capitals. The upper floors of the building have generally been used for storage, although in recent years, test labs occupied the eighth floor. In the 1970s, the third and fourth floors were used for building upholstery, while engines were "dressed" on the first floor. The building runs perpendicular to the four Main Buildings and is linked to them at their northern ends on the second, third, and fourth levels. The four Main Buildings are in turn connected at their southern ends with the two Assembly Buildings.
WAREHOUSE BUILDING, EXTENSION, ELEVATIONS, 1925
WAREHOUSE BUILDING, SECOND FLOOR, VIEW SOUTH, 1980
WAREHOUSE BUILDING, SECOND FLOOR, TYPICAL ELEVATOR, VIEW NORTH 1980
WAREHOUSE BUILDING, FOURTH FLOOR, VIEW NORTHEAST, 1980
WAREHOUSE BUILDING, FOURTH FLOOR, MEN'S WASHROOM, 1980