Dodge Hamtramck Plant Blacksmith/Forge Shop Pictures
The Kahn-designed Forge Shop was one of the original cluster of a half dozen buildings the Dodge Brothers erected on this site in 1910. The rectangular steel-framed building is 70 feet wide and 400 feet long, two stories high, with a gabled roof interrupted by glass clerestories, and brick facades at the ends. By 1914, there were forty-five steam hammers in use, ranging from 400 to 5,000 pounds, forging 150 tons of steel per day.
BLACKSMITH'S SHOP, VIEW SOUTH 1912
BLACKSMITH'S SHOP, VIEW NORTHEAST 1912
BLACKSMITH'S SHOP, FIRST FLOOR, 1980