Dodge Hamtramck Plant Construction Building Description and Photos
As part of its $8 million plant expansion of 1920-21, Dodge Brothers decided to handle its own building construction and repair projects internally, in effect becoming its own contractor. The Construction Building was erected mainly to hold the engineering offices for building projects, with the lower floors used for stockpiling building materials. This eight-story reinforced concrete building was designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls and built in 1920. It measures 77 feet wide and 227 feet long, has a flat roof, steel sash, and flat-slab framing with ten-sided columns flared at the top. It has an overall elevation of 112 feet and it topped off by a 50,000 gallon water tank for the sprinkler system. The building is connected to the main plant via a tunnel built in 1920. At the time the plant closed in 1980, this building was serving mainly as a warehouse for various Chrysler Corporation records, while the top three floors housed some product design offices. Previously, the building housed the sewing and soft trim departments from World War Two through the early 1960s.
Photocopy of drawing, 1919 (S, H and G) CONSTRUCTION BUILDING, NORTH ELEVATION
Photocopy of drawing, 1919 (S, H and G) CONSTRUCTION BUILDING, CROSS SECTION
CONSTRUCTION BUILDING, FIFTH FLOOR OFFICES VIEW NORTH 1980
CONSTRUCTION BUILDING, EIGHTH FLOOR OFFICES, VIEW NORTHWEST, 1980
CONSTRUCTION BUILDING, WATER TOWER ON ROOF, 1980