Dodge Hamtramck Plant Heat Treat Building #1 Description and Photos
Smith, Hinchman & Grylls designed this rectangular, steel-framed building in 1913. It measures 70 feet wide and 400 feet long, with a gabled roof interrupted by glass clerestories, and brick facades at both ends. It originally housed twenty heat furnaces in which potassium cyanide was used for steel surface hardening. Dodge made nearly seven million clutch discs a year, along with dozens of other parts requiring surface hardening.
HEAT TREAT BUILDING #1, ELEVATIONS, 1912
HEAT TREAT BUILDING #1, SOUTHEAST ELEVATION, 1913
HEAT TREAT BUILDING #1, VIEW SOUTH, 1913
HEAT TREAT BUILDING #1, VIEW SOUTH, 1915